Is it really Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)?
Last week, I hosted a complex hormone workshop for some students that I mentor. We discussed a complex ‘Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)’ case study where no one could find the rot cause of the client’s symptoms (irregular cycles, acne, and weight gain). Things weren’t adding up.
That is, until I helped the students to break down
- The tests we had from her doctor
- Tests we needed to complete the picture
- How hormones interact (like Oestrogen and Progesterone)
- Standard vs optimal blood results
- How to interpret blood test results correctly
From this it was clear that the cause of irregular cycles, acne, weight gain was not caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). But rather, high prolactin.
This is just one example, I frequently have women in my clinic who tell me they’ve been diagnosed with PCOS, but when we really unpack the case 50% of the time they leave knowing they don’t have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and know exactly what is driving their hormone imbalances!
Why is this happening?
From this, it’s becoming clear that PCOS is becoming a ‘catch all’ for complex hormonal conditions when really doctors such be saying – “I’m not really sure” or “we need to investigate this further”. But instead it’s easier to give a PCOS label and move on!
So why is this happening?
- Medicare constrains limit what tests doctors can run without being questioned
- Short consultation times doesn’t allow for proper analysis or education
- Inadequate education at a tertiary level means some doctor don’t understand complex hormone conditions
- Different diagnostic criteria that isn’t very clear and can make other similar conditions seem like PCOS
This is why a Fertility Naturopath is your hormones best friend! I know exactly what tests to run, I have more time to analyse pathology, and I have a better understanding of the complexities of how hormones affect each other! This means I can offer a lot of education to help you understand your body and get to the root cause of your symptoms: have less acne, regular cycles, and loose weight.
If you’re feeling like you’re not getting answers from your Doctor, if you’re feeling like you don’t understand why certain things are happening and want to re-establish a regular cycle then reach out today!
If you want to share your story, comment below!